The Griesbach Garden House - Prinzessinnenschlösschen

The Griesbach Garden House Jena theology professor Jakob Griesbach (1745-1812) had the house built in 1784-85 as a summer residence outside the city. The view past the Saale floodplains to Jenzig mountain and the gardens landscaped in English style were well known and popular both among Jena residents and beyond the city's borders. Here, the great writers of Germany's Classical period met: Johann Wolfgang von Goethe and Friedrich Schiller, as well as Johann Gottfried Herder, Wilhelm and Alexander von Humboldt, Johann Gottlieb Fichte, and Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel.
After Griesbach's death Goethe arranged in 1818 for the residence to be sold to the Weimar court. Starting in 1820, Princess Augusta (later Queen of Prussia and German Empress, wife of Wilhelm I) and her sister Marie, the daughters of Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna (1786-1859), spent their summers there. The house then became known as the Prinzessinnenschlösschen, the princesses' palace.
The building and garden were acquired in 1920 by the Carl Zeiss Foundation and have belonged to the Friedrich Schiller University Jena since 1989. They were rebuilt and refurbished numerous times. Maria Pavlovna had already had two fireplaces built into the balcony room on the upper floor, which had a lasting impact on the statics of the building. In 1926 the Carl Zeiss Foundation added the planetarium in the southern part of the garden. The Jena Art Association moved their exhibitions into the building for a time, and after 1945 the City Museum and later the Optical Museum occupied the space. Starting in 1977 the building was used by the university's art curator.
The university has been planning to completely renovate the garden house and garden for several years already. On the occasion of the anniversary of university's founding in 2008, the garden was returned to its state around 1800. In 2010-11 the building was restored in keeping with monument preservation by the Aschenbach architectural office in Weimar. Since December 2011 it has housed the fellows and directors of the Kolleg.